On The Road

What is Allowed?

Members of Parliament are allowed to claim 45 pence per mile for every mile they drove on Parliamentary business.

A trip from my house in Northampton to Westminster or vice versa was therefore claimable - and each round trip could have been compensated with around £63.

What I Claim: £0

I have never claimed for any road travel in all the time I have been an MP.

I pay for all my own petrol whether driving around Northampton on my duties as an MP, in London or in transit between the two, and over the past nine years will have saved the taxpayer thousands of pounds.

I treat taxpayer’s money very carefully and believe if others have to travel and pay out of their own pocket, your local MP should be no different. This is why I decided not to claim any petrol money back as your MP.

I have never claimed for even one litre of petrol for this or any other journey during my time as your Member of Parliament since my election in May 2010.


Congestion Charge

What is Allowed?

MPs are permitted to claim for the London Congestion Charge, which is £11.50 per day.

What I claimed: £0

I drive a hybrid car which is better for the environment and was, until recently, exempt from the Congestion Charge.

However, the rules changed recently and the exemption was lifted - so I now have to pay for the charge. However, since this change came into place, I have not claimed a penny for the congestion charge and payed for it from my own salary.



What is Allowed?

MPs are permitted to claim for taxi journeys in certain circumstances.

What I claim: £0

I have never claimed for a single taxi journey.


On The Train

What is Allowed?

The rules said that MPs are permitted to claim back a standard class train ticket from their constituency to Westminster. Each round trip to Westminster could therefore be remunerated by over £60.

What I claim: £0

I have never claimed a penny on train tickets (or tickets for the London Underground) in the nine years I have been an MP. All the journeys I made on the train or tube I paid for from my own salary.